Live and Don't Spam

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Water damaged iPhone... what are my options? Insurance? Please help. 10 points best answer?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jamesscot84

PostSubject: Water damaged iPhone... what are my options? Insurance? Please help. 10 points best answer?   Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:11 pm

So about 3-4 weeks ago I dropped my beloved, uninsured iPhone 4 down a piss filled toilet as it was flushing.

Since then, I left it in a box of rice/2 packs of silica for over a week. I turned it on, it came on, i swiped it to unlock, it responded well, but after swiping it just turned off. This kept happening. So I took it to a place in town where they give you a new replacement for £120 but for whatever reason they couldn't do it, so I'm back to square one.

I've considered my options for hours on end day after day; money is limited, I have about £500 in the bank but I'm moving to Uni next month and I'll need all of that I can get to tide me over since my loan barely covers my accommodation fees.

One option I've considered is buying a new smartphone on pay as you go (the galaxy s2 i have in mind, though i'd need a little extra cash and as I said would be skint for uni) then getting it unlocked and using my sim in that. (My sim is on 3 network one plan £35 a month on a 24 month contract which I'm only 4 months in to).

Another option I've considered is taking out insurance on it now, and then making a claim. However there's a few issues with that; I'm presuming you have to wait a certain amount of time before being able to make a claim (which I am rather unwilling to do having already gone 3 weeks with a shitty nokia) and also whether they would be able to tell if I had dropped it in the water before I signed up even if I did wait that amount of time. If anyone has experience successful or not in taking that route please respond and tell me how it went!

The final option I considered is getting another contract phone; I could get the galaxy s2 for 25£ per month but add that to my iPhone bill and I'm paying £60 per month for the foreseeable future which isn't ideal for a skint student living on bugger all at uni as it is.

I'm really stuck on this one and don't know what the hell to do. I want a new phone by the 15th Sept. at latest as that is when I move out to University. So I'm rather impatient now and need to decide what to do.

Any advice would be massively appreciated, 10 points for a decent answer!

Please help ! Sad -Chris

water damage iphone
Back to top Go down

Water damaged iPhone... what are my options? Insurance? Please help. 10 points best answer?
Page 1 of 1